Summer 2017 Incoming 8th Gr SS Assignment
Dear 8th grade student,
Welcome to your 8th grade Social Studies Summer Assignment! Work in the summer?! I know, I know. But know this: being a good reader is one of the most important keys to a successful life. Therefore, you are required to choose ONE book to read from the attached list and complete the assignment outlined below. This assignment is due when you return to school in September. Good luck! –Mr. Reddington and Mrs. Thompson.
1) Read ONE book from the selection at bottom of this page.
2) Compose a one-page “letter to the author” answering the question “How did this book make you think differently?” You may include any of the following:
- Characters you connected with
- A question for the author
- A memorable scene
- Inspiring or disappointing moments- did you wish something ended differently?
- Main themes throughout the novel – you could focus on: “love and friendship,” “struggle,” “family,” “independence,” or choose your own.
3) Your response should follow the format of a letter. Please see formatting template below.
4) Your response MUST be typed, double-spaced, Times New Roman, 12-point font.
Be prepared to speak about your book using details and examples in classJ
Girl in Blue
By Ann Rinaldi
Hazardous Tale: Big Bad Ironclad!
By Nathan Hale
Across Five Aprils
By Irene Hunt
By Paul Fleischman
By Walter Dean Myers