ENL -Reading Workshop, Grades 2-3
Dear parents and students,
We’ve started this year by reading fairy tales. This unit introduces students to fairy tales that have been favorites with children for generations, such as “Cinderella”, “Rumpelstiltskin”, “Rapunzel”, “Hansel and Gretel”, “Jack and the Beanstalk”, etc.
In this unit we will learn new fairly fabulous vocabulary, which will help us understand fairy tales better. We will learn that fairy tales have the elements of character, setting, plot, problems and solution, which found in other types of fiction. In addition we will learn that fairy tales have elements that make them different from other stories such as:
- good and evil characters;
- magical and royal characters;
- elements of fantasy/ magic;
- special beginning: “Once upon a time…” ;
- happy ending (“They lived happily ever after”);
- objects, characters, and events that come in groups of three;
- set in the past.
Reading fairy tales will help us develop a strong foundation for the understanding of other fictional stories.
We LOVE reading our fairy tales!!!